The First Presbyterian Church of Hamptonburgh located on State Route 207 in Campbell Hall is actually the fifth house of worship erected by the congregation. Built in 1910, the building was constructed on the foundation of the church that burned to the ground in 1909.
In the entry hall is a display of the 12 clergy that have served the congregation throughout its 240 year history and plaques highlighting the generous giving of various individuals over the years.
As one enters the sanctuary, one is immediately struck by its intimate and simple elegance. The pews are of gently curved honey oak wood with tiger oak end panels. The pulpit furniture is made of matching oak with ornate carving showing the fine craftsmanship that was typical of the early part of our nation’s history. A simple choir loft behind the pulpit house the console for a pipe organ that was purchased with money raised by the women of the congregation a few years after the building was dedicated. Daylight streams through some beautiful stain glass windows and the sanctuary is surrounded by paintings of all the buildings that were are part of the congregation’s history.
The lower level of the building was completely renovated and updated in the 1990’s complete with a modern kitchen for our congregational suppers. Named the Helen Stantial Education Center it was rededicated in memory of one of our church’s beloved elders. The Hamptonburgh Area Nursery School which was started by the church has been providing quality education for pre-schoolers for almost 25 years.
Being a Christian community of faith for all individuals has been an important identity of our congregation from its inception. Our church was one of the handful of Christian congregations that had African Americans in full membership before the Revolutionary War let alone the Civil War era. We are handicap accessible on both levels with handicap accessible bathrooms on the lower level.
Opening the doors of our building to the community has also been important to our church as well. Besides conducting weddings and funerals for members and nonmembers alike, the facilities have been used by the Boy Scouts, the Grange, the Hamptonburgh Highlights 4-H, the Orange County Probation Officers Association, and several twelve-step groups. This past winter a new carillon system was installed to ring out to the community music throughout the day to uplift our spirits and remind us of our loving God whom we serve.